Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Bye Bye Universal Viewer



What is the first thing they teach you in a FME course? To have a look at the data !

All the way back to my first careful steps with FME, the Universal Viewer was there to help visualize and query the data I was working with.

A great tool and without it, it would have been unthinkable to work with any type of data.

 FME Universal Viewer
Since the first appearance of the next generation viewing application of FME (Data Inspector), I have been hesitant to make the transition from the known and familiar Universal Viewer to the new Data Inspector.

Sure there have been moments when I thought OK now I am finally going over to the Inspector, I mean its fancy and you can view in 3D (That was back in the days when the 3D was hot). But somehow I never got around to finally take the final step.
???
Since FME 2013 was released I have been only using the Data Inspector (I remember somewhere in the beginning of 2013 that the FME Evangelist himself made the transition and naturally recommended it to us all).
Throughout 2013 a number of features have been added to the Data Inspector (background maps, table view) that made the Universal Viewer really seem old fashioned.
The only Universal Viewer functionality I still miss in the Data Inspector is the ability to save the viewed features.

So bye bye good old Universal Viewer I suspect I wont see much of you anymore (wasn't FME 2013 also the last release with the Universal Viewer?)

And for those of you that still cling to the Universal Viewer, take the final step it's worth it!

It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right, I hope you had the time of your life.
- Green Day

No comments:

Post a Comment